Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Centers and Freebie!

It has been a crazy week! I think I have had a meeting before, after, and during my plan time every day this week! Ugh, no time to start planning next week. I want to thank all of you that wrote such sweet comments about my observation! You ladies are AWESOME! My observation went great! My principal said "it was the best lesson I have seen this year!" I was completely shocked and honored!!!!

Alrighty on to something more important....CENTERS! I have been doing math centers since after break because we are not having our "pioneer time," because our interventions are testing the whole month on January. I actually really enjoy doing centers and want to figure out a way to do them all the time next year. (summer project!!) Well I thought I would show you some pictures of how I organize them.


I organize them using these great containers from Target that my instructional coach/best friend let me use. I have found they are perfect size and easy for the kids to clean up and put away. I usually keep 2-3 games in each basket. That way if a group is done with one game they have something else to do. Here is an example of our money basket:


I have a matching or memory game. The students play it both ways. I also have a game I made with paper plates and money. I wrote different money amounts of the bottom of the plates. One student looks at the plates and makes that amount on the top. The other students have to count the money to figure out what amount is written on the bottom of the plate. This is definitely one of their favorites. I have also been using some great centers and ideas from blogs. I love to find great freebies and I also don't mind paying for good centers. I will be changing them next week so I thought I would make a couple of new games.

One that I made is to review fact families and of course I will share it with you. The students draw dominoes to make fact families. I was planning on printing the dominoes on colored cardstock and laminating them.





Click Here!

How do you run math centers?? Enjoy the freebie!! Two more days until 3 day weekend!!! Woohoo!!

15 comments:

Lisa at Fourth and Ten said...

Thanks for the freebie! I do centers during my math tutorial time, where I meet with gets that need intervention. I do about 10 different games/center activities and keep them in gallon sized ziploc bags in a hanging pocket chart. I LOVE the idea of keeping some other activities that are on the same topic in the tub to work on as well. :)
Lisa
Stories From Second

Lisa Lizak and Beth Wright said...

This is fab! Thanks so much for the great freebie :) I can't wait to use it during my math workstations :)

Lisa :)
Made In The Shade In Second Grade

Unknown said...

Congrats on your observation! =)
Your centers look great!
Jennifer
First Grade Blue SKies

Sandy said...

Thanks for the freebie!!! I will definitely incorporate this into my math time! And great job on your observation!!! I'm with you on the summer project- there are so many things I think of during the year that need time to prepare. :) Thanks again!

Jen R said...

huh - I like the paper plate game...so simple to put together :)
Thanks!
:)
The Teachers’ Cauldron

Jen R said...

oh..and I'd tell you how I run math centers, but I need to tell with pictures lol! But i can't do that just right now... :)

tclark90 said...

Thank you for sharing.

Christine said...

I love the plate game idea! Too bad we don't really teach counting money any more at 1st grade. I was a tough skill, but lots of fun activities for it. Thanks for sharing the dominos - very timely for me!

Christine


Hopping into First Grade

Mrs. Jones Teaches said...

Thanks for the freebie. It's great. I also liked your organization. I'm all about that lately. I'm trying to get out of my messy chaos rut!

In case you want to know this to correct your center title, more than one domino is spelled with an -es. Dominoes.

Kelley Cirrito said...

Thanks Sarah. I get to typing and forget all the little spelling rules. I fixed it.

Heather's Heart said...

This is great! Thank you! We make a Domino Fact Family Book after reading the book Domino Addition!

Congrats on the observation...on having it OVER! And of course, you were the BEST! I would agree! =)

Heather
Heather's Heart

Holly said...

Wow, that could not have come at a better time!!! I'm introducing fact families today. Perfect activity for my learning stations next week!

Printing as we speak.

We use Bridges Math which is a game-based math resource. Workplaces {math centers} are already embedded. I have six bins {that snap shut} that have a different colored shape on the outside {rhombus, triangle, square, rectangle, hexagon and trapezoid}. I have these same shapes placed in various places around the room, so the kids know where to put the place bins when we begin. I fill them with whatever game I've taught in my lesson. They spend a lot of their math time in workplaces.

Thanks again for the freebie!!!!

Holly
Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade

Erika said...

Thanks for the freebie. I love the plate game, and I'm doing money right now. Also, my drawers for daily work are on my post today.

2B Honey Bunch
The Best Endings

Unknown said...

I'm your newest follower! Thanks for the adjective freebie. It's perfect for my Grammar Station!

Latricia
Wild About Second Grade

Barbara said...

Thank you! What a super activity.

Barbara
Grade ONEderful

Post a Comment